Followers

Thursday, March 27, 2008

What is on my easel




I am hoping this blog will help me to evaluate and make decisions while creating artwork. I love the process of creating. Art is a divergent process for me. The initiation, setting up problems, working out methods is what I am most attracted to. I tend to concentrate on those aspects of artwork, and ignore the finished piece. I typically finish something (roughly), throw it in a corner to collect dust and then move onto the next piece. I am now thinking I need to put more effort in to the finishing of a piece, also be more concerned with the presentation of the work.

I have set a few rules for myself over the past couple of years. For example, the rule might be a time limit, or types of colors I use. Once, I had a rule about never using white, so to force my ability to mix values with color rather than just mixing in white. Right now, I am working with a goal to create at least one painting per week.

This Lighthouse painting is what is on my easel today. I have been working from sketches and reference pictures I created over the summer from one of my favorite New England spots; Matunuck RI.

I will be taking down a figure drawing show I helped to organize and put up at the Windham Arts Collaborative. I will post a few of these drawings once I get some pictures of them.

No comments: