Followers

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Paintings from Sketches


Last week, I started to go through my sketch books from this past summer. I try to match a goal of filling at least 3 sketch pads through the summer. This really gets my head back into drawing and allows me reference material throughout the year.

I found this drawing and decided to develop it into an oil painting. I have spent very little time working with oils this year. In reflection, I have a love hate relationship with that medium. I suffer the greatist amount of fustration with oils. First, oil painting takes an enourmous amount of practice and skill. The first I have not been devoted to, and the latter I seem to lack. Oils seem to present the most obstacles of the mediums, whether it is the set up, mess (because I inevitably track it all over the place), or just storage. With my love for going big, oils also present an obstacle in cost (my recent $42 purchase of a tube of Cadium light). On the other hand, there is nothing more sensual to my eye, (except my wife of course) than a master oil painting. I love the juicy impasto, the broken colors, the vibrating colors that are orchesrated with this medium. I visit particular paintings like old friends. De Kooning, Cezanne, Gorky; all inspired me into this whole art thing with their masterful handling of oil paint.

No comments: